Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fragility of New Media

While I was reading in New New Media by Paul Levinson I really started to wonder about how my life would be without some of the sites that are in existence today. Things would be incredibly different. Without the discovery of Tumblr my writing style and confidence in my writing would be very different, I also would not have fallen in love with Photoshop, a program that I am still slowly learning how to use. My love for television might not have been harvested as well, a path that helped lead me to a career I hope to partake in after graduating college and that career would be a television producer. Without Tumblr I would feel much more alone, after having made many friends who I have many things in common with.
I also realized, while reading, exactly how easy it is to lose everything that one site has enabled me to have. In the press of a button Tumblr could be erased and contact with many of my friends may be lost forever.
But there is more to new media than making friends and discovering hobbies. It is the power to be your own creator. It is now possible to put products out there in the world, through sites like YouTube, which allow for free content creation and with enough time you can even get paid for what you create. None of this was around 20 years ago, many of these sites that are considered 'new new media' are just barely 10 years old and it only proves how quickly media is advancing; how it went from one-way traffic media, such as television and newspaper which only allows for producers to create content, to two-way traffic, where users are also producers.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how you are able to connect with people across the world because of Tumblr. The friendships you make are truly unique because although you have never met them you already have so much in common. New new media is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete